Monday, February 22, 2010

Where it Starts

The first chapter of “Walking in This World” prompted me to think about what lights up my imagination – where do I find the rest and safety and comfort to fall into creativity? Where am I allowed to breathe? What calms, releases, opens my soul?

It’s hard to describe how it happens, when you find that place or spot to rest in creatively. It’s like some kind of cosmic force has shifted and suddenly everything is connected and my thoughts are whirring and my body feels light and the world seems so vast and yet small all at the same time.

It’s different for everyone but these are a few of the things or places that help spur on my imagination.

1. The beach – One of my favorite things in the world is to go to the beach on a cool winter day when the air is crisp and the water is blue and I can walk along the shoreline just letting the icy waves numb my toes.

2. Music – I’ve talked ad nauseam about my love of music but there is nothing in this world like a good song to change my mood and open up a day to possibility.

3. Candles – Hee, this is starting to sound like a list of things that get me in the “mood.” But NO! There’s just something about flickering candlelight and dancing shadows along the wall that is so deliciously magical. Light a candle, turn down the lights, and suddenly it’s an entirely new world.

4. Walking – Maybe it’s those crazy endorphins but every time I go for a walk, my mind opens up and suddenly it's just a free-for-all of thoughts. Especially when it's early in the morning and it's just me and God, the crisp air and the sound of my shoes on the pavement.

5. Late night delirium - I've been an insomniac since I was ten so I'm well versed in the "late night loopy" stage. I've heard of actual scientific studies in regards to chemical change in the brain when exhaustion sets in and I believe it 100%. It's been during these times that I've written some of my oddly compelling stuff.

6. Taking a shower - Yeah, it's weird. But I swear I do my best thinking in the shower. Maybe it's the warmth of the water, the symbolism of "cleanliness" - who knows. But it's not completely out of this world for me to be struck by an idea and then run, dripping wet, to my desk to write it down before it's gone.



So that's where it begins. Sometimes. Sometimes I find myself inspired by moments with my family and friends, movie scenes, a story on the news, a piece of art, an alluring scent, a long drive, a pink-hued sunset, the sound of rain pattering on the roof, fresh baked cookies, a lazy Saturday morning... you get the picture. Life happens, creativity happens. Sometimes at the oddest of moments. You just have to be open to it.

No comments: