Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Things I'm Loving

In the spirit of love and happiness and thankfulness, here is a list of things I'm loving right now...

1. Community on NBC
Without a doubt, LOST and The Office remain my favorite shows on television. However, this little show has captivated me over the past few months and has provided some of my biggest out-loud television laughs. There's an almost Arrested Development-like quirkiness to it that I find endearing. I started watching because of Joel McHale (who is the adorable snarky ex-lawyer Jeff) but the show is stolen by the likes of Danny Pudi as a film student/avid pop culture aficionado. I knew from the moment in the Pilot when he started quoting Judd Nelson's famous "What about you?!" line from The Breakfast Club, that I would love his character. I'm also a sucker for a little bit of sentamentality mixed into my comedy and there's plenty of that in this show, such as when the whole gang comes to Jeff's rescue as he's about to be beaten up by a bully (Anthony Michael Hall as a beefed up gym rat) and a bunch of shirtless goons. Sweet and knee-slappingly hilarious.

2. Ack Attack Recaps
As mentioned previously, LOST is one of my favorite shows on television. I'm eagerly soaking in every moment of this final season and hoping anxiously for a few answered questions. How old IS Richard. I need to know!

In the meantime however, there are the screencap recaps that you can find at the link above. These aren't traditional recaps detailing every moment but rather a sarcastic/humorous/biting look at some of the best (and worst) moments. The writer has a deep seated hatred for Jack (and his crying) and Kate that I don't necessary share but nevertheless find amusing. I basically almost pee myself laughing everytime a new recap is posted. Oh, and watch out for the scattered pop cultural refrences - everything from Saved by the Bell to The Office to Harry Potter to Mallrats to Battlestar Galactica and on and on and on...

3. Leggings
Here's the deal: I pretty much thought these were gone. Leggings? Baggy, off-the-shoulder tee-shirts? That was SO elementary school. I thought once we entered the nineties we were past that particular fashion trend.

But no. Here we are in 2010 and BOOM! Leggings are everywhere. Wear them with a long baggy shirt or a dress or a shirt and a blouse. Add some heels or cute flats. Voila! YOU are fashion forward.

At first, I was horrified. What next? Teased bangs? Swatch watches? Sweatbands? Would we keep regressing in fashion trends? Are men going to start wearing leisure suits again? Will the teenagers be wearing poodle skirts? Saddles shoes? Petticoats? Where does it end???!

In the midst of my fashion freak-out though I did find myself wandering into a fitting room with a pair of leggings drapped over my arm... you know, just to see...

And oh yeah, these things are comfortable! I forgot.

So, I take it all back. The retro-eighties style can stay. However, if hammer pants try to come back into style, I WILL stage a fashion mutiny.

4. Boxer by The National

My itunes addiction is on the verge of being destructive. Especially where my bank account is concerned. Nevertheless, I find myself not caring when it comes to finding a really good album by a new favorite artist. One of those CD's that's slipped into the car stereo and isn't ejected for a good two or three months, one of those little jems that fits every moment, that you can feel down to your toes as it steals it's way into your soul.

This album was released a couple of years ago but it's my new discovery. I can't stop listening. I love the voice of the lead singer, I love the epic feel of some of the songs like "Fake Empire" and I love lyrics like, "surprise, surprise they wouldn't wannna watch/another uninnocent, elegant fall into the unmagnificent lives of adults." Gah. Perfection.

5. Yoplait Light Yogurt

So lately I've like totally been eating a lot of Boston Cream Pie and Raspberry Cheesecake and Apple Turnovers and Red Velvet Cake... and I'm losing weight! Isn't that amazing?!

Okay, so I have to give the commercials some credit. Because it's true. This yogurt is GOOD. The White Chocolate Raspberry yogurt is almost on the verge of being sinful. And as someone with a serious sweet tooth, these yogurts are kind of my salvation.

So thank you Yoplait.

Oh! And the new flavor, Blueberry Pie? Really truly tastes like they stuck a slice of blueberry pie in a blender and then sealed it in a cup. How do they do it? So good.