Sunday, April 10, 2011

this is what boredom does

I had nothing else to do this weekend so I threw in the first season of Dawson's Creek on Friday and have since been sucked back into the world of Capeside and the never-ending drama of Dawson and Joey and Co. Honestly, I only meant to watch the first couple episodes in some kind of weird "oh look how young they were and look how cheesy this is" nostalgia tour but dammit, I still love this show. Oh of course, it's cheesy and I want to smack Dawson in the face half the time for his "why won't Jen have sex with meeeeeeeeee?" whine-a-thons but on the whole it's actually pretty decent entertainment.

No matter what, this show's always going to mean something to me. I was obsessed with it in high school, the characters and I graduated the same year, the music is cause for instant flashback to my own high school memories and for better or worse, the characters touched me.  Sure, maybe I never had an incarcerated father or a crush on my best friend, I never slept with a teacher or was involved in a schoolmate falling to her death off a pier, but something connected.

And then of course there's Pacey, who is even better than I remember. Sure, he had that whole thing with Ms. Jacobs and it was awkward and a little yucky (Oh MAN I remember how scandalous that was at the time. And now everywhere you look, on every television show featuring a character in high school, SOMEONE'S getting it on with a faculty member) but then he became PACEY WITTER. He helped Andie through her breakdown and bought Joey a wall and built a boat and became a chef and he was tortured and his family sucked and he almost didn't graduate and he was dry and sarcastic and a hundred billion trillion times better than Dawson and... okay, yes, ten years later and I still have a crush.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this trip down memory lane. Maybe I should watch Roswell next. Or Felicity. Or Popular...

Maybe what I'm trying to say is, I miss the WB.


No comments: