Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Summer is Coming

It's California and I have no right to complain but I'm tired of the cold: cold fingers and toes, a cold bedroom, a cold chill when I'm getting out of the shower in the morning.

But today, the sky is blue, the sun is warm on my pale skin, there's a light breeze rustling the hair about my face and all around me is a sense of genuine gladness - children laughing, BBQ's being fired up, windows sliding open to let in the fresh air - in the coming season.

Flip flops and brightly colored toenails, bathing suits and shorts, lying around at the beach with the sand in my toes, driving with the windows down hot and sweaty and parched for an ice cold glass of water, that blurred cool darkness of walking into an air conditioned house after a long day in the sun - I welcome all of this.

Two things: 1). I would never be able to live in Minnesota and 2). I'll probably be complaining about the heat by August.

Right now though? The prospect of summer on the near horizon is glorious.

(It also doesn't hurt that the Lollapalooza lineup was released today and I'm starting to have flashbacks of last summer - the kind of memories you can smell and taste on your tongue, leaving you wanting nothing more than a return to those moments.

I. CAN'T. WAIT.)

No comments: