Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Where's your jetpack Zuckerberg?

I watched The Social Network for the first time the other day (NEWSFLASH: I'm a teensy bit behind the times) and absolutely loved it from beginning to end. It was completely riveting which, if you think about it, is slightly absurd considering that the first half hour of the movie is about hacking and breaking codes and computer jargon nonsense that is basically the same as speaking a foreign language to me. I'm not totally sure how they did it - some combination of interesting music and likable actors - but well done creators of The Social Network. Hats off.

This is not to say though that the movie didn't wrinkle my brain a little bit. Why? Because Mark Zuckerberg is only one year younger than me AND I so distinctly remember being a senior in college and sitting with my roommates on our computers and signing up for Facebook (it was boring compared to the colors and zing of MySpace but everyone was doing it so.) And now everyone and their mother is on Facebook (literally) and MySpace is lame and people are twittering and social networking is this thing, this part of life like going to work and eating dinner.

Remember when  chat rooms were evil?

It's been almost six years since I graduated from college. I got up this morning and considered whether or not I could afford a frappaccunio. The power went out at my house before I could finish drying my hair. And then I updated my Facebook status. Mark Zuckerberg's probably taking his morning swim through his vault of gold coins while his butler irons his underwear. Ugh. Not that I want to be him. Not that I ever expected to be him with an English degree from a small liberal arts college on the west coast. It's just... how much of it is life choices and how much of it is pure flippin' good luck and being at the right place at the right time?

Shannon is "suffering from white girl problems."

No comments: