Monday, February 28, 2011

KITTY KABOOM!

Let's talk about TV. Shall we?

Greek 
I am really SO sad this is almost over. There are only two more episodes left and this season has been terrific. My favorite episode would probably have to be the Beaver-centric one and hugely because it contained the delightfulness of Katherine (I would absolutely watch a spin-off centered around her). I'm pleased that Cappie is finally growing up and that he and Casey have figured out their crap, I'm relieved that Dale's days with Omega Chi are over because the influence of Tripp was turning him into an ass and I LOVED seeing Rusty and Calvin come to his rescue. The newly-found will they/won't they of Rusty and Ashleigh is less appealing BUT the idea of it is growing on me - they've been sort of cute as roommates with sexual tension.

I don't know what will happen in the final two episodes but  I can honestly say that the only thing that would hugely bum me out is if Evan and Cappie aren't friends again in the end. That's been my favorite dynamic through the entire series (which I think I may need to get on DVD and re-watch again once it's all over). I'll probably have more to say about this one next week after the finale.

Community 
WHAT? I'm talking about THIS show? Shocking I know.

In the past six episodes we've had Joel McHale running in the rain, a Dungeons and Dragons parody, a love interest for Abed, drunken Duncan, Magnitude (POP POP), Jeff's Real Wold Seattle tryout, Britta's lesbian make-out, the return of Rich, feelings between Jeff and Annie, Troy and Abed dressed as bees, Dean Pelton dressed as a bee and...Uncle Sam, Theo Huxtable, a documentary parody, Levar Burton, Troy crying and singing the Reading Rainbow theme song, Pierce being evil, a glimpse into Jeff's apartment and Annie's apartment (she lives above a sex shop called Dildopolis - gross), a Lord of the Rings style credits parody, a Troy and Abed in the Morning segment, and a room full of teenagers screaming "WE LOVE DRUGS!" And so much more!

I don't know what else to say except this show just continues to be something delightful and I look forward to it every week.

Also, SPOILER ALERT: The finale is supposed to be a one hour Modern Warfare redux with a Western spin. AND. AND. AND. Mr. Josh Holloway (AKA: SAWYER FROM LOST) is rumored to be guesting. Which elicits this response from me: FLAIL.

Parks and Rec 
Adam Scott. I'm not completely sure if he's now officially a part of the main cast but he absolutely cannot leave Pawnee. Ever. His presence on my television screen  makes Thursday nights even more joyful than they already were. His character of Ben is a completely awkward nerd but he's adorable and perfect and that he sees how clearly awesome Leslie is earns him an automatic WIN in my book.

And anyone else remember this?

Yeah, that's right.  Boy Meets World. Griff. The guy who look over as reigning bad boy once Harvey got shipped off to reform school or what-not. I actually always preferred Harvey but now I see it all in a different light. Cause Adam Scott! Look at his little baby face. And the hair! Oh the hair.

IMDB reminds me he also played the cool but "Ooops he's also a pedophile" teacher on Veronica Mars. He was also originally cast as Aaron on Wonderfalls. Which is weird to think about because Lee Pace IS Aaron. Oh man, I want to re-watch that show now too.

Oh wait. I was talking about Parks and Rec wasn't I? Okay, I'm glad April and Andy are finally togther because April was starting to irk me a little bit in her torture of Andy. This week's episode where they competed to get the most free stuff at the bar was vomit-inducingly cute, especially when you saw the way they both practically glowed to be together. And to think, at one point I hated the character of Andy. Unthinkable.

But no really, watch this show. Every single character, down to the city of Pawnee itself, is unique and quirky and hilarious. Sometimes Community goes a little to the dark side and hurts my heart a bit (in a good way though!) but this show always, always leaves me with a huge ass smile. Watch it.


Fringe 
This past week's episode didn't include two of the leads and yet it was maybe my favorite episode of the season. We got a little peak into the Walter Bishop (and the Walternate Bishop) of the past and to the events that drove both of these men to the lives that they lead in the present. And dammit, Walternate's supposed to be evil, the bad guy, the guy who wants to destroy the universe of our characters - and yet, I cannot help but feel sorry for him and understand where his anger and need for revenge comes from. Also, the little girl playing young Olivia was amazing. She had Anna Torv's mannerisms down.

I'm not so thrilled about the pregnancy story line and the fact that Peter is going to have to choose between the two Olivias and in essence the two universes. BUT. The fact that it's not just some kind of "Pick me. Choose me. Wah, Wah, Wah" storyline and that there are actual stakes involved makes it interesting to me. I'm really excited for the rest of the season and I hope, hope, HOPE that it gets renewed for a fourth season.

P.S. I also realize that entire review is going to sound absolutely ridiculous to someone who doesn't watch the show. Sorry about that. But it's GOOD. Watch it.

P.P.S. I spend a lot of time encouraging people to watch these shows because sadly all of them are on the bubble as far as renewal and it makes me sad. No offense to people who like reality shows but scripted television will always be my preference and sometime I want to smack the American people in the face for their television habits. THE JERSEY SHORE WILL HAVE MORE SEASONS THAN ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, FIREFLY OR PUSHING DAISIES. HOW.

P.P.P.S. Other shows I'm currently still loving: How I Met Your Mother, Chuck, Pretty Little Liars, Castle, The Big Bang Theory (even though I am woefully behind), Glee (when it's on it's game like this week), Modern Family, Raising Hope, and The Office (again, when it's actually on it's game).

P.P.P.P.S. Friday Night Lights returns to NBC on April 15th!!! I've heard good things about this season so color me EXCITED.

No comments: