Monday, January 17, 2011

The 2011 List

New Years Resolutions. Basically one big recipe for failure and disappointment right?  

Oh, it's the start of the new year and I'm going to be better and lose those ten pounds and spend more time with my family and quit smoking and volunteer at the local homeless shelter! It's the year of a new me! I'm REALLY going to do it this time!

*Fast-forward two-weeks later*

Eh. I hurt my back working out and I'm tired and stressed and it's almost tax time and boo I don't have anyone to spend Valentines Day with again and my boss sucks and this bacon cheeseburger tastes SO good and what New Years Resolution? Oh yeah...

Last year my friends and I decided not to make resolutions. Hence, The 2010 Project. Ten things that we wanted to do or accomplish sometime during the year. Fun things that we've always wanted to try, goals that we wanted to strive for, new things and ways of looking at life. These weren't New Years resolutions, these were... well, a bucket list of sorts.

Okay. I know. It sounds an awful lot like a New Years resolution. Especially considering things like last years inclusion of "wear a bikini on the beach." But whatever. It's makes sense to me. Haters to the left.

So. This year I'm trying it again. I suppose I should put eleven things on the liast since it is 2011. But let's not get too crazy.

Drumroll please...

1. Read 25 books I've never read
2. Submit something for publication
3. Start running
4. Get a passport
5. Participate in or join something
6. Blog at least once per week
7. Learn a new skill
8. Go somewhere I've never been
9. Give up fast food
10. Do at least 1 thing the "Shannon of 2010" wouldn't have done.

Several of these things were on last years list but they are things that I would still like to do, damn my laziness, so there you go.

The hardest one? Will probably be #9. It's not that I'm addicted to fast food or even eat it all that much. But once again, laziness and sloth kick in and *cue whiny voice* I don't waaaaaaaaant to cook. It's so much eeeeeeasier to swing through the In 'n Out drive-thru on the way home. (Although Melissa can vouch for the fact that this isn't always the best idea. Am I right friend?) Well, I don't want to do that this year. And it sort of helps that the last few times I've eaten fast food I've gotten sick and my brain is already in, did that burger come in a wrapper? NO. DO NOT WANT mode. So I'm gonna ride with that for a bit.

* My criteria for deciding if something is "fast-food": Does this establishment normally have a drive-thru? If yes, then it is fast food. McDonalds, Burger King, In n' Out (Sob! I'll miss you the most!) - all out.

So. What skills should I learn? Guitar-playing? A new language? How to drive stick? (Oh Loyd Dobler and Pacey Witter, where are you when I need you?) And what books should I read? Which destination should I chose as my "place I've never been?"

I DON'T KNOW! There are so many options and choices and that's what's fun, that's what makes me excited. Hopefully in 12 months I'll be able to say, "Look! Here's my rejection letter from such and such magazine!" and "This is the list of books I've read!" and "Watch me play this song on the guitar!" and "WOW, I haven't eaten fast food in SO long!" and "Look at this video of me sky-diving!" (YIKES). And even if I can't? Well then, may the next twelve months be as interesting and love/fun/joy/laughter filled as possible.

Whatever happens, happens.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I love your list! I still need to work on mine...

I think we should go to London, it would take care of two things on your list and be a blast.

Shannon said...

YEAAAAAAH WE SHOULD!!!