Monday, September 20, 2010

Albert Einstein Randomness

I read "Know it All" by A.J. Jacobs recently and came across this lovely little tidbit about Albert Einstein: a note that he wrote to his wife in an effort to save his marriage.

"You will make sure that I get my three meals a day in my room. You are neither to expect intimacy nor to reproach me in any way."

Yup. That'll do it buddy.

It's both horrible and hilarious but also a little insight into the man whose name has become synonymous with "genius." I've honestly never known much about him other than he helped to initiate the Manhattan Project and then developed a little something called E=MC2 (Yeah, I know, my knowledge is astounding.) But apparently he was also kind of a jackass of a husband. Good to know.

If you're interested in garnering some more random knowledge I do recommend "Know it All." Jacobs takes on the almost impossible task of reading through the entire set of Encyclopedia Britannica (44 million words!) and chronicles the journey in alphabetical order through random facts about various Britannica subjects. He also interweaves personal memoirs, including the struggle he and his wife have in trying to conceive their first child. It's a hilarious and at times poignant read. Two thumbs up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wasn’t aware of some of the info that you wrote about so I want to just say thank you. scholarships