Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Winter Music Soundtrack


So every season my lovely friend Melissa and I exchange some of the top songs that we've been listening to over the past few months. I like to think of these as little seasonal soundtracks.  It's a teensy bit late but here is my Winter 2009-2010 Music Soundtrack. I've included links to YouTube Videos where you can hear the songs.

1. Intro by The xx
So this song was in that Visa commercial (the one with Apollo Ono) that played during the Olympics. It’s just a little instrumental ditty but something about it struck a cord with me and I had to download it. Now it just makes me think about winter sports.
I love the mellowness of The Weepies. They are my “fall asleep” music. I find it soothing. And this song is just pretty.

3. 100,000 Strong – Matt Morris           
This is the guy that sang Hallelujah with Justin Timberlake during the Haiti Relief Telethon. I had to look him up and ended up falling in love with a bunch of his songs. I'm always a sucker for new singer/songwriters in my life. Thanks JT!
           
This is my uplifting, self-esteem boosting song of the season. If you haven’t seen the video I recommend clicking on the link. It’s pretty cool and includes a quick cameo by everyone's favorite Nerd Spy.

I just think this is a really cool song. I love the French interlude in the middle.

I'm starting to realize that this might be one of the most upbeat mixes I’ve ever done. And I LOVE this song. It’s upbeat and catchy and totally just in my brain man. I first heard this song on Community, a show that has featured some pretty awesome music actually (some others are featured on this list).

I found this one awhile ago going through all my itunes recommendations and I fell in love with it and downloaded it and it further contributed to the way itunes is slowly bankrupting me. But then this past weekend I FINALLY saw The Blind Side and this was the opening song and I was like “Hey, I already know this song!” And then everyone looked at me like I was insane. So... there.

I think The National might be my new favorite band. Their CD Boxer is basically the greatest thing ever and I can’t stop listening. I love, love, love the lead singer’s voice. It a really nice mix of deep and raspy. I actually had a really hard time deciding which song to put on here. I chose this one because it's one of the more popular ones. Their song "Slow Show"- yeah, I pretty much want to marry it and have it's babies.

Maybe I’m just too in love with all of my songs this season. Cause, I really want to say that this is my favorite song. I can’t choose! It's just so much folksy fun. And the little talking part in the middle is adorable.

(Another one from Community) I don’t know what “dancing at discos and eating cheese on toast” has to do with anything but it makes me laugh in it’s absurdity and the rest of this lyrics are fantastic. I especially like, “but you can grow flowers from where dirt used to be. And I like to sing the “do do do da do do” part.

11. New Theory – Washed Out
Eh, I don't know. I can't always describe why I like a song. Something about it just calls to my soul.

This is one that again feels like a more summery song. It’s a good one to play in the car. It’s just makes everything feel warm and sunny – like I need to be sitting on the beach drinking something pink with an umbrella.

I’ve always liked the Eels and this is a fun song. Again, upbeat. Usually my music is so depressing.  I like what this song has to say about love being “a ride.” It sounds “beginning of a relationship” kind of hopeful.

I sort of hate myself for loving this song. But I can’t help it. Crap.

No, wait! This is my favorite song! Oh, I don’t know. This is my favorite driving song. I love rolling down the windows and blasting the speakers. Especially when the weather is warm. It makes everything feel summery. Seriously, am I just using the same words over and over to describe every song? It's summery! It's warm! It's fun and pretty!

I adore Zooey Daschanel’s voice. It’s so old-fashioned and vintage and dreamy. The video to this song is adorable.

17. I Will Live On Islands – Josh Rouse
This song is so fun! And summery! And pretty! Wait a minute...

Okay, so I first heard this song in a car commercial and didn't think anything of it. THEN, I was listening to this song by Childish Gambino (Rapper name of Donald Glover, one of the actors on Community). And what he does is take indie songs and lay them down with rap lyrics. And one of them was over this song. Here's the link to the Childish Gambino song. (It's funny, I don't normally listen to rap but he's really good and I like his stuff.) And I ended up really enjoying the original song. (The video however, I find to be a little creepy).

Totally not advocating violence but I love this song. I like to think of it as being about a couple that just likes to piss each other off. And that’s good fun. This is also another one from Community and the scene it plays over is classic. Complete with Anthony Michael Hall as a gym-rat bully. Click for awesomeness.

I already talked about this one a few blog posts ago but words cannot describe how perfect this song is. All the crap is gone and while it was painful for awhile, suddenly things are a million times better than they’ve ever been.  Thanks Frightened Rabbit.

No comments: