Thursday, May 26, 2011

Let's Talk About Finales Baby

Fringe
After an entire season of buildup this was pretty disappointing. In the penultimate episode we saw Peter flash forward ten years into the future and 3/4 of the finale was spent in this time period where the alternate universe has been destroyed, Peter and Olivia are married, Walter's in prison and our universe is unraveling to the point of destruction. It's interesting of course but finale worthy? Not so much. It never felt like there were any real consequences because I was convinced they'd eventually end up back in the present anyway; so Olivia dying and Peter tearfully delivering her eulogy didn't affect me the way it should have. The last five minutes were awesome I have to admit (Peter! Never existed! WHAT?!); I just wish the preceding moments had felt more important.

Community
Fan-freaking-tastic. When I heard they were doing a paintball sequel I was wary but wow did it work. The first half of this episode - a full spaghetti Western homage complete with Josh Holloway (SAWYER) - was a thing of beauty. Annie was a BADASS, Jeff was working the cowboy look, the music was pitch perfect, and Pierce had a saloon-fort complete with Vicki and Garrett dancing for Twinkies. How is this even a real sentence? The second half turned into an epic Star Wars-esque showdown between Greendale (the rebels) and City College (the empire). Abed kissed Annie in a moment of Han Solo role-playing, we found out that Denny's is for Winners, background characters like Magnitude and Leonard and Vicki and Starburns all got their chance to shine, and when it was all said and done Pierce saved the day. The through line, other than paintball, was Pierce's recent villainy and the group trying to decide whether or not to ask him back after the summer so I assumed once he saved the school that everything would go back to normal. In the end though HE walks out on them, tossing out the surprising and sad reveal that he's been a student at Greendale for 12 years. Since I know Chevy Chase isn't leaving the show I'm not too worried that Pierce won't be around next season but still, it was a little heartbreaking. I love my little study group. All seven members. And as they've found in the past, they work best when everyone is present and accounted for. So, how will it be resolved? Is it Fall yet?

Chuck
I'm really glad that the show is getting an additional 13 episodes to wrap things up but I actually would have been satisfied with this as the series finale. Chuck and Sarah are married, the Volkoff storyline is resolved, the Buy More is out of danger of being shut down and it's all a nice little bow on the top of four seasons. But now Morgan has the intersect in his head, the team has been fired from the CIA and a new mystery has been introduced. It should be an interesting ending.

How I Met Your Mother
Lily's pregnant (totally called it from the second she threw up) and Barney's getting married at some point in the future. I really only have one thing to say: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET IT BE ROBIN. 

Castle
Wow. Hands down this was the most intense season finale I watched. Favorite scenes: The verbal smack down Rick laid on Kate (Nathan Fillion was channeling Malcom Reynolds something fierce in this scene), the fight between Ryan and Esposito after they figured out the truth about Captain Montgomery (these two are my favorite and seeing them go at each other with such high emotion was simultaneously awful and amazing), and the moment when Castle has to drag Beckett kicking and screaming out of the hanger. (When he has her pressed against the car? GASP. HOTNESS). And then there was that ending. WHAT. THAT ENDING. Was not expecting that. AT. ALL.

Raising Hope
Really sweet episode. I tend to be a sucker for origin stories so it was cool to see how everyone ended up where they were at the beginning of the series. Loved scary!Jimmy and Sabrina being attracted to him; loved finding out how Shelley got her dead tooth, LOVED the scene where Burt and Virginia figured out that Maw Maw may have "Old Timers." This show continues to be a sprinkling of powdered sugar on top of my Tuesdays.

The Big Bang Theory
Penny and Raj? BLECH. No thanks. Can the show be focused on the antics of the women next season? The guys are starting to grate.

Parks and Rec
Awesome. Again, another comedy that feels like a yummy desert all the time, leaving me all warm and satisfied. And in a season where a lot of finales didn't have a "FINALE" vibe, this one did and left a lot of questions up in the air. Will Tom really quit? Why is Tammy # 1 so scary? Will Leslie run for mayor? Is her relationship with Ben in jeopardy? WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN? I don't know but I can't wait to get back to Pawnee in the Fall.

The Office
I don't know. It seemed like this entire episode was just going around in circles; it definitely did not need to be an hour long. I'm not excited about any of these possibilities for the boss and whoever it is is just going to drive me nuts. They need to find someone who is NOT Michael Scott and who can play the role of the manager in a completely different way. But from what they've presented here it seems they're just going for a Michael Scott 2.0 (part ineptitude, part insanity). After seven seasons it's gotten old. So, I don't know. The heart's all gone and it makes me sad. (I am curious as to whether they or going to write in Jenna Fischer's pregnancy or not. Another Halpert baby? Either way I'm guessing that she'll be missing out on a few episodes at the front of next season). 

Glee
(WARNING: There's a lot of ranting ahead. If you enjoy Glee you might want to skip this one). By far the most redeeming moment: Kurt and Rachel singing "For Good." (Oh, and pretty much anything Puck did or said. And the reveal that Sam and Mercedes are together. And Brittany/Santana). Other than that? UGHH. The episode lost me the moment Rachel didn't know that Cats hasn't been playing on Broadway for years but QUINN did. WHAT? Is it that hard to write consistent characters? Really Ryan Murphy? This is why this show is losing me. I can't even begin to root for anyone because no one makes sense. Finn's an ass and I hate that he just flits from girl to girl at whim and they just melt for it and let him get away with it. And Quinn's apparently got this big evil plot to... get her hair cut? And suddenly things are fine and she's greeting Finn and Rachel like they're all besties? And Will... you know what? Never mind. It's not even worth talking about because again, his character is a self-absorbed, wishy-washy ass. (Sometimes. You know, when the plot calls for it. BAH). Oh, and remember that line from Community when Jeff yells at the Glee Club to "write some original songs?" Well, it was a bad idea. Keep it up with the Journey and the Lady Gaga. Because the original songs suck. Hard.

*Sadly (and I say "sadly" because I really did love the first season) this is the one show I'm considering dropping. It's not worth watching something when I barely even enjoy it anymore. (Although if Brittany and Mike Chang were to spin-off into their own show where they do nothing but dance for an hour, I'd watch that.)

Modern Family
Really nice episode. I really have nothing else to say. 

Cougar Town
First and foremost: ABED!!!! Or should I say, Chad? The love fest between Community and Cougar Town brings me endless happiness and when Abed talked about being an extra on Cougar Town in the "My Dinner With Andre" episode I thought it would be extra awesomesauce if it actually happened. And look! It did! SO COOL. (So, if Cougar Town exists as a show in the Community universe and Community exists as a show in the Cougar Town universe... WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? BRAIN = WRINKLED). Other than THE BEST CAMEO EVER this was another really good send-off episode. (Really depressed that it's not coming back until Winter.) Is it wrong that I want Travis and Laurie to actually happen? Cause they're kind of adorable.

Happy Endings
I'm really enjoying this show and I'm pleased it got picked up for a second season. Penny and Max are my two favorites (which is surprising because I was never a fan of Casey Wilson on SNL) and Damon Wayne Jr. is pretty flippin' adorable. If you haven't tried it yet, please do. Every episode is currently available on Hulu. Here's one of my favorite exchanges: 

Jane: Have you and your father ever said I love you to each other? 
Brad: No, we don’t have to say it because we show it. By not saying it.  Like how the mountains never say it to the sea yet the sea knows. 
Jane:  Do you ever think about these things before you say them, or just?
Brad: Yeah, I do. I think ‘Wow, that’s brilliant. I should say that out loud’. Then I say it out loud and it’s spectacular, it exceeds my expectations. 
Jane: Right.

So, thank you 2010-2011 television season. You've been lovely. See you in the Fall.

No comments: